Carney’s Response to Benghazi Emails is Criminal
MAY 02, 2014
As the White House continues to spin the Benghazi scandal, it has become increasingly clear that this is an administration that is perfectly content with lying to the American people. The question Americans have to ask themselves is whether they have become an electorate that is content to listen.
White House Press Secretary Jay Carney assumed the latter this week, claiming that new Benghazi documents linking the White House to the cover-up were not actually about Benghazi at all – “it was explicitly not about Benghazi”, Carney said, going so far as to suggest that discussing the cover-up makes for a “conspiracy theory”. In the face of the new evidence, Carney’s words are nothing short of shameless.
Of course, Carney’s explanation makes little sense when taking into account that Judicial Watch’s Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit, which revealed the White House connection, explicitly demanded records from the State Department relating to talking points given to Susan Rice about Benghazi.
In an interview yesterday, Judicial Watch President Tom Fitton remarked, “The Benghazi document we received was from the State Department that said, ‘here is a Benghazi document’…this would be the first time we have received documents we didn’t ask for from the Obama administration.”
Perhaps the White House should coordinate with the State Department about the definition of a “Benghazi record”.
Furthermore, these documents were not easily given up. It took Judicial Watch two years of litigation to capture the documents, while the same documents were simply omitted from the Congressional investigation, which raises questions of obstruction. This led Fitton to describe Carney’s response as a “legalistic” one, characterizing the Obama Administration’s principle strategy when it comes to public speaking engagements.
It is important not to forget the context surrounding the origin of the cover up. For a scandal that surfaced two months before the 2012 Presidential elections, it took two years to obtain the documents connecting the White House to the scandal – an abhorrent timeline for the self-described “transparent administration” and one that, with the newly uncovered documents, is more than enough to confirm the White House’s involvement in a cover-up just weeks before a presidential election.
“This brings it right into the White House and it shows that the idea that the CIA created talking points that Susan Rice was using is a big fat lie” Tom Fitton said yesterday. “There was a press operation in the White House that was pushing this line.”
© 2010-2018 Judicial Watch, Inc. All Rights Reserved.