Skip to content

Judicial Watch, Inc. is a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, which promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law.

Judicial Watch, Inc. is a conservative, non-partisan educational foundation, which promotes transparency, accountability and integrity in government, politics and the law.

Because no one
is above the law!


Investigative Bulletin

Mexican Incursions


  • Incursion: “…the unauthorized crossing of the U.S.-Mexico Border by Mexican Government personnel.  May be intentional or unintentional”
  • As of September 30, 2005, the Office of Border Patrol Field Intelligence Center has 18 confirmed and one unconfirmed incursions during FY 2005


On January 26, 2005, Border Patrol Agents assigned to the Imperial Beach, California Station observed two uniformed Tijuana, B.C., Mexico Police Officers enter the US illegally.  Agents observed the two officers chase two subjects into the Tijuana River levee east of San Ysidro, CA.  Agents warned the officers not to enter the US, but the officers did not comply.  Before arresting the two subjects, the officers threw rocks at a group of people in the river.  It is not known if this group of people were related to the 2 subjects the officers were chasing.  The officers then arrested the two subjects they were chasing and retuned them to Mexico.  An agent spoke to one of the officers at the border fence.  The officer told the agent “the newly elected Tijuana Mayor has ordered police to make similar raids in the area every night”.  The San Diego sector Mexican Liaison unit is investigating.


BORFIC NOTE: This incursion has not been verified by either Border Patrol Agents or other U.S. LEA’s.  Although unconfirmed, the incident has historical value in the case of another similar report in the future.  The fact that the helicopter had reportedly entered some five to ten miles into U.S. territory is also a factor of note, although the Air and Marine Operations Center in Riverside reported that they had no indication of any landings / air activity at that time.  The report of the investigating agent is included below.

On 04/26/05 [blacked out] a resident of Arivaca, AZ, was interviewed by Tucson Sector [blacked out] Subject stated that on Friday 04/22/05, at around 1150 hours, he was at the [blacked out] south of [blacked out] to visit a veterinarian.  While in the house, he heard a deep throated roar of a helicopter.  He thought it was a Customs Helicopter, so he went out to take a look.

When he got outside, the sounds of the helicopter sounded more like a chugging sound.  He observed a Tucson Fuel truck pulling into the Ranch to supply fuel to the ranch.  He also observed a black or very dark helicopter swoop over the truck and land behind one of the ranch buildings.  He observed five males come from the helicopter and walk toward the fuel truck.  The five men were all dressed in black and wore masks and body armor.  They had the word “Mexico” on their sleeves and on the back of their shirts was some lettering starting with the letter “A”.  Three of the men had automatic fire rifles and the other two were armed with pistols.  [blacked out] went over to investigate.  He asked the five men in Spanish whether they spoke English and they indicated they did not.  In Spanish, [blacked out] asked the men if they were the Mexican Police and they said there were.  The men said something about the truck being the property of someone and kept walking toward the truck.  [blacked out] said he stopped the men and told them to go back to Mexico.  After about 10 minutes, the men got back into the helicopter and left.  [blacked out] was unable to observe any markings on the helicopter.

[blacked out] said that he tried to make a good report using his mobile phone but he was unable to get a good signal.  [blacked out] [blacked out] is an EMT with the Arivaca Fire Department.

On 04/26/05, the driver of the fuel truck was interviewed.  He stated that he was at the [blacked out] on 04/22/05 to deliver fuel.  As he pulled in to park his truck, he observed a dark green helicopter landing near the guesthouse.  He observed about five men get out.  Three of the men were dressed in all black with full body armor and were all carrying assault rifles pointed at the ground.  The other two men wore green uniforms but he could not get a good look at them.  He observed the men talk to another individual whom he later identified as [blacked out].  While they were talking, the Mexicans kept pointing towards him and the fuel truck.  After a while, the men got back in the helicopter, which took off and went due south over the mountains.  [blacked out] said he did not observe any markings on the helicopter.

[large paragraph blacked out]


On September 24, 2005, Border Patrol Agents assigned to the Imperial Beach, California Station were notified that the Tijuana, Mexico Police Department had gone in pursuit of two fleeing suspects.  During the chase (still on Mexican territory), the police officers allegedly fired five pistol rounds at the fleeing suspects but the suspects were not hit.  The Mexican Police apprehended the suspects about 10 yards into the U.S. and returned to Mexico.  No injuries were reported.


  • Encounter: “… any activity by Mexican Government Personnel on the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico Border that results in interaction between the parties involved.”
  • As of September 30, 2005, the Office of Border Patrol Field Intelligence Center has confirmed six encounters during FY 2005



On February 4, 2005 agents from the Brownsville Border Patrol Station seized 224.45 pounds of marijuana near the [blacked out].  During the seizure, the six subjects who were carrying the bundles managed to abscond by jumping back in the river and swimming to the Mexican side.  As one of the subjects swam back, he showed signs of having trouble swimming.  One of the Agents tossed him a rope while the other one called for back up.  The subject was pulled back to the riverbank but still managed to abscond [blacked out].  The Agents secured the marijuana and back up arrived.  The Mexican Police arrived on scene and so did the Mexican Military in a Hummer.  The Mexican soldiers immediately deployed alongside the river and within minutes advised that they had recovered a bundle that had been left behind.  Meanwhile, the Brownsville Fire Department deployed a rescue boat to look for the subject that had been helped.  The rescue boat was deployed about one mile upriver with two firemen and one Border Patrol Agent.  As the boat proceeded to go down river towards the scene, the Agent on board advised via radio that several Mexican soldiers were pointing their rifles in his direction.  The Agent decided for his safety and the safety of the crew to turn back, but advised that the soldiers were still aiming at them.  At the scene, Border Patrol Agents notified the soldiers that the boat crew was only a rescue effort for the person who almost drowned.  They acknowledged and advised they would notify the others.


On March 5, 2005, a Border Patrol Agent assigned to the Tucson, Arizona Station observed seven to ten suspected Mexican soldiers with long-arms south of the border approximately [blacked out] of Sasabe, AZ.  The agent approached the area to investigate and abserved the soldiers cover several burlap bundles with a tarp.  The agent got closer to the area and the soldiers began to yell at him and warn him, in a threatening manner, to stay away from the area.  Tucson Sector Special Response Team and the Customs Air and Marine were notified.  The Tucson Sector Mexican Liaison was notified.  A lieutenant with the Mexican military was contacted and he claimed that he was not aware of any soldiers being in that area.


  • Sighting: “…the discovery of significant Mexican Government activity on the Mexican side of the U.S.-Mexico Border, which is not an encounter and may be of LEA interest.”
  • As of September 30, 2005, the Office of Border Patrol Field Intelligence Center has confirmed thirteen sightings during FY 2005


On January 27, 2005, a Border Patrol Agent assigned to the Harlingen, Texas Station seized 42.3 lbs (19.2 kgs) of marijuana on the bank of the Rio Grande River.  Shortly afterwards, a Border Patrol Agent assigned to the Brownsville, Texas observed two vehicles on the Mexico side departing the same area at a high rate of speed.  Approximately three minutes later, a Mexican military Humvee carrying four soldiers was also observed traveling in the same direction as the above-mentioned vehicles.  Shortly thereafter, two Humvees carrying an unknown number of soldiers, returned to the same area.  It is unknown if the soldiers were armed at this time.  The Mexican Military did not enter the US.


On July 7, 2005, Agents assigned to the Yuma Arizona station were [blacked out] along the border when they observed a vehicle driving with its lights off illegally enter the U.S.  The vehicle immediately initiated a U-turn and attempted to flee back to Mexico.  Agents reported hearing an unknown amount of shots fired from Mexico, and the sound of an engine revving.  Agents searched the area and the vehicle to ensure no injuries were sustained.  The agents noticed a Mexican Military Humvee and Military personnel armed with rifles on the Mexican side of the river.  The Mexican military left the area.  A group of 18 individuals then approached the agents and surrendered.  During processing, the aliens made statements that they had been robbed, beaten and shot at by the Mexican soldiers.  They also stated that the soldiers had kept one of the two female members of their group.  The group stated that the soldiers ordered them to cross back into the U.S and a truck would be waiting for them. The Mexican Consulate and the Yuma Sector Liaison Officer were contacted and conducted interviews of the individuals.  Arrangements to inspect the vehicle on the Mexican site were attempted.  The Consulate and the liaison Officer were told that the vehicle was set on fire.