OCTOBER 28, 2011
Judicial Watch filed a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) lawsuit against the United States Air Force to obtain records related to the June 21-27, 2011, trip taken by First Lady Michelle Obama, her family, and her staff to South Africa and Botswana. Judicial Watch is seeking the documents to determine details about the trip and, in particular, a breakdown of the costs to taxpayers.The Judicial Watch FOIA request filed on June 28, 2011, seeks:
- Any and all records concerning mission taskings of First Lady Michelle Obama’s June 21-27,
2011 trip to South Africa and Botswana.
- Any and all records of concerning transportation costs for Mrs. Obama’s June 21-27 trip to
South Africa and Botswana.
- Any and all passenger manifests (DD-2131) for Mrs. Obama’s June 21-27, 2011 trip to South
Africa and Botswana.
Official Legal Documents
- Complaint - August 19, 2011
- US Air Force mission expense records and manifests - September 23, 2011